Here's the best recipe I've been able to find for Scottish shortbread. My father's parents came over from Scotland in the early Twenties and my grandmother's shortbread was second to none. Unfortunately, her recipe left this world with her. This recipe is close to that of my grandmother's. Enjoy!
1 lb Butter
1 1/4 cups Sugar
1 cup Rice Flour (Slade's is best if you can find it)
4 cups All Purpose Flour (I prefer Gold Medal)
1. Pour the sugar over the butter and let stand at room temperature until the butter is soft. Do not try to rush this step!
2. Mix the two flours together and then blend in the other ingredients.
3. Knead forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Roll out to 1/4" on a floured board.
5. Cut into desired shapes and prick with a fork.
6. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 350F, watching very carefully to prevent overcooking.
7. Allow to cool before serving.