1 cup buttermilk
2 cups self-rising flour OR 2 cups flour with 4 tsp baking powder
3 whole chicken breasts or cut up fryer
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1. Pour buttermilk into a shallow plate. Measure flour onto waxed paper.
2. Dip chicken into buttermilk; sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning; then roll in flour, coating well and shaking off excess.
3. Pour enough oil into a large saucepan to make 2" depth. Heat oil to 350 degrees with deep-fat frying thermometer.
4. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, for 15 minutes turning once or until crisp and richly browned. Keep oil as near temperature as possible by raising and lowering heat.
5. Transfer cooked chicken to paper toweling to drain. Keep in warm oven until all chicken has been fried.